Here are some math sites recommended by middle school math teachers. If you know of others, please e-mail us so they can be added.
If you don’t know your addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts, spend at least five minutes a day on those until you have them down cold. Math homework will go SO much faster when you have your facts nailed!
Practicing number sense, fractions, decimals, percent, measurement, pre-algebra and algebra will make math much easier for you in the fall and will also get you ready for high school and college.
- AAAStudy This is another good site with links to online instruction and practice and games for every grade level.
- Figure This Interesting math challenges that middle-school students can do at home with their families
- Math Magician Simple timed program for learning addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts.
- Mr. Nussbaum Big variety of activities and games.
- Coolmath Another big variety of activities and games.
- Free Rice Choose pre–algebra or basic math. Rice is donated as students get the questions right.
- Brainpop Check out the math movies.
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
- Math Playground
- Motion Math (App)
Math Activities Ideas:
- Cook a recipe and double it
- Plan a real or virtual trip and add up the miles and cost
- Go to the store with a parent and as things are added to the cart, keep a mental running estimate of the total grocery bill